Jani Tarvainen, 2015/09/17
- I'm Jani Tarvainen and I've been making websites for a while
- I work for Exove, we do a lot of CMS work there with WP, Drupal and eZ
- Please stay awake and draw your own conclusions
- Me on Twitter: @velmu
- This event on Twitter: @symfony_fi
- What is content management
- Brands and Communities
- A closer look at Symfony and CMSes
- Drupal 8
- eZ Platform
- Content Management in the Future
- I work with (LAMP) content management
- Diversity is good
- I should do more things outside of LAMP
- Routine is good...
- ...but repeating is for robots
- PHP CMSes have strong product communities
- Try different things to gain perspective
What is Content Management
- A commodity
- Bulk of web development
- Easy to get started with
- Hard to Master
- Boring, but enables exciting things
Brands and Communities
- North America of Content Management
- Elsewhere there be dragons
- Parallel dimensions outside of LAMP
- To be a viable option, you need to be known... and used!
- Pure technical excellence is worth nothing
- To me Symfony is above all, a strong Brand
- Genuinely high quality, trusted, widespread...
- Developers gonna
- face the same basic problems
- do it themselves, because they can do it right
- have to keep learning new mad skillz
- PHP has reached the maturity level where code sharing is easy
- developers learned to share
Meanwhile in China...
- What's the #1 Search in China?
- What's the #1 Forum software in China?
- What's the #1 Microblogging site in China?
- What's the #1 CMS in China?
Symfony can be your US Dollar in the LAMP CMS world; A universally accepted currency
- I would like a bottle of water
- That will be 4 eZ Francs, please
- Do you accept Drupal Kronor? I've got 7
- Sacrebleu! eZ Francs ONLY!
- How about 2 Symfony Bucks?
- I'm sure we can figure something out...
Symfony and Content Management
- Symfony in it's different forms are everywhere
- as Components, Silex, Full Stack
- in CMSes: Drupal, eZ, Bolt, Concrete 5, Pagekit...
- Symfony is technically capable
- Symfony did not invent / is not
- YAML, Twig, Console, Composer, modern PHP...
A closer look at Symfony and CMSes
- Bolt CMS (hobby experience)
- A CMS built from Scratch on Silex
- Drupal 8 (hobby experience)
- Uses Symfony Components for key functionalities
- eZ Platform (work experience)
- Built on Symfony 2 Framework
eZ Platform features
- Integrates with Symfony2 user sessions
- Use same session for CMS and Apps
- Language mapping
- www.site.fi to fin-FI (fi)
- www.site.no to nor-NO (no)
- Extendable REST API
- Pluggable storage
- Integrate functionality with separate models
eZ Platform, key bundles
- Doctrine DBAL for DB abstraction
- Flysystem for file storage to local, AWS, etc.
- Stash for Caching with Redis, Memcached
- FOSHttpCache for cache tagging, etc. for Varnish
- Liip Imagine for image manipulation
Same skillz, different tools
- Bolt, Drupal 8, eZ Platform all share
- Twig templates
- YAML configs...
- Recycle your skills from blog to a clustered personalised news portal
- Don't forget to keep learning and looking for the best option! :)
Content Management in the Future
- A melting pot of content feeds?
- Automatic personalization? Algorithm decides what _you_ see?
- Content Repositories?
- JCR is NoSQL, rising but not significant yet
- A full front end CMS?
- All logic in client, only persistence via server
- You can ever only really trust the server
- Is it any better? Is it what things just "will be"?
Graph Databases in Content Management?
- Graph DBs Rising in popularity, mainstream for some use-cases
- Neo4j was created for a CMS
- GraphQL from Facebook
- Can give you an alternative view to your data, but won't turn your bad content to gold
- Learn more tomorrow at "Thinking in Graphs" at Fraktio HQ